There is probably nothing as romantic as a good old-fashioned love letter. You can use it to confess your feelings to a new crush or even re-affirm your love for someone you’ve been with for years.
The problem is:
It can be hard to find the perfect words to express how you feel. And it may be even harder to put them down in an eloquent way.
So if you’re wondering, “How do I write a letter to my crush?” you’re in the right place!
Our eight tips about things to write in a love letter, whether to your crush, your best friend, or your spouse, will help you turn your thoughts and feelings into a literary masterpiece!
Some of the strategies we shall take a look at will include how to be sweet and tactful with your compliments and the importance of vulnerability. You will also learn how to balance being respectfully subtle and being upfront with your feelings.
If you are worried about execution, we also have you covered. Each of our tips will come with a few examples, so you know how to phrase your sweet letter to your crush. That way, when you are ready to put your feelings on paper, you will know how to say you like them.
Without further ado, here is how to write the perfect love letter to your crush.
How to Write a Love Letter to a Girl or Boy You Like
Start by saying why you’re writing to them
The first step is letting them know they’re about to read a love letter and explaining why you wrote it.
Starting with ‘what and why’ will help them prepare for all the emotions you’re about to throw at them and what it is they are about to read.
For example, when writing a love letter to a crush, you could say:
- “I’ve been putting this off for weeks now, but I can not go one more day without telling you how I feel. I am not that good with words when I’m around you, so I thought of love.
Vulnerability is the secret ingredient that made old-school love letters so magical. There is something super powerful about pouring your heart into a piece of writing and letting someone else read it.
It will show your crush that you are in touch with your feelings and trust them enough to be open and vulnerable with them.
It, therefore, means you have to tap into your vulnerable side and let it all out in your letter if you want to get your crush’s attention and affection.
However, there is such a thing as oversharing, and this is a line that you need to be careful not to cross, especially when your relationship is still in the crush stage.
To help you out, here are a few examples of how you can be vulnerable in your love letter without scaring your crush away:
- “To be honest, I struggled with figuring out what to write because I care so much about what you will think and how it will make you feel. So I hope I got it right.”
- “I don’t usually open up this easily, but I genuinely feel that I can trust you.”
- “I have had a few unhappy endings in the past. But I’m glad I didn’t give up on even finding special.”
Be as specific as possible
Do not be too general in your letter. For example, instead of simply saying that you have feelings for them (or that your feelings are still going strong), go into details about how exactly they make you feel.
Maybe she gives you butterflies every time you run into her? Or maybe just the thought of being near him makes you weak at the knees?
Whatever your feelings, you can never really go wrong with expositional detailing when it comes to writing a love letter.
Here are a few examples of how to be specific in your love letter:
- “Saying that I like you might be a bit of an understatement. You make me feel warm, happy, and safe. I truly haven’t felt this way before, and I love it.”
- “There is so much that I like about you. I like how you laugh at *insert cute quirk here*. I like how you always put your family first. I like how passionate you are about *insert crush’s interests here*. You’re just an all-around awesome person, and I’d like to keep discovering more things to like about you.”
Explain what they bring into your life
It is a great way to make someone feel appreciated. And even if you’ve been together with them for a long time, it’s very possible your partner has no clue about the impact they have had on your life.
Writing a thoughtful letter is the perfect opportunity to fill them in on this little secret!
For example, you could say:
- “I am so grateful that you’re always there when I need you. Knowing I can rely on you no matter what makes me feel safe and cared for.”
- “You have inspired me to be a better person. I am healthier (both mentally and physically) than ever before, and that’s all thanks to you!”
Even if you don’t know your crush that well, you can always say something like, “Your smile brightens up even the most boring days at the office,” or “I love how I am more adventurous when I am with you.”
Shower them with compliments
You want them blushing throughout the letter, and the best way to do this is by filling it with compliments.
Again, be as specific as you can and write it straight from your heart!
It could be anything from how their eyes appear honey brown when the sun hits them to how you admire their strength and resilience.
It shows your crush that you notice them and your partner that you appreciate them for all the little things that define them.
Here are a few examples you could use:
- “I like the way you laugh. It’s such a free and genuine laugh, and every time I hear it, I can’t help but smile. The best of it is when you unironically laugh at dry dad jokes.”
- “To be honest, all this started with your smile. The way it takes over your whole face. The way your nose and eye corners wrinkle up when you are in the thick of it. The only times I have ever found myself speechless were under the glow of that smile.”
Take a trip down memory lane
Another great way to make a current partner feel loved in your letter is by including a shared memory.
Although you could talk about a tragedy you overcame together, it’s best to keep it light here. For example, talk about the first time you met your partner or how remembering your first kiss still makes you feel. Or take a favorite memory and describe it in detail.
Whatever you choose to write about, it will put a smile on your girlfriend’s face!
Here are a few examples.
- “You may not know this, but I knew I liked/loved you that time you and I went *insert the special moment here*. I felt so safe and comfortable, and I knew right there and then that I was in trouble.”
- “Interestingly, some of my best memories with you were through some of the hardest of times. Your support and encouragement as I went through *insert tragedy your crush saw you through* truly helped get me out of the other side in one piece.
Mention your future together
It is not all about the past and the present; you should also consider including your hopes for the future.
It could be anything from how you hope to build a business empire with him to how you cannot wait to start a family together.
Don’t skip this step, as it shows your partner that you are serious about seeing the relationship through in the long run.
Let’s take a look at some examples of how to execute this:
- “I don’t really know where your head and heart are with this, but I am rooting for us. I think we would make a great match and that we can have a very happy life together.”
- “I can’t wait to *insert shared interests or plans or bucket list items* together. It’s going to be so epic, and there is no one else I would rather do it with.”
- “I hope I’m not being too forward, but I think you and I would have gorgeous babies, and I can’t wait to start a family with you one day.”
Finish with a romantic bang
You have done a great job so far writing down how you feel and what you hope for in terms of a future together. Unfortunately, the wrong ending could ruin all your efforts and set you back further than where you were when starting the letter.
That is why a strong ending when writing a love letter is just as important as the part where you confess your love and express your desire for a future together.
One way to end your letter would be with a grand declaration like:
- “I will love you always and forever.”
- “I can’t wait to grow old with you.”
- “My love for you will never die.”
If you and your crush don’t already have established rapport or a friendship, going for such a strong ending may not work. Instead, close the love letter in such a way that the ball is in your crush’s court. Here are a few closers for such scenarios:
- “I hope you feel the same way about me as I do you. But whatever you decide, I will respect your decision.”
- “With all that said and done, I just hope that our friendship eventually evolves into something more if you are up for it. So, dinner some time?”
Bottom line – how to write a love letter to your crush
You now have all the tips you need to write a love letter that would shame great romantics like Jane Austen and Shakespeare. So go forth and write the love letter of the century.
The most important thing to remember is to be vulnerable. Vulnerability and being open about what you want will get you further with your crush than any sleek pickup lines or cliche complements.
It is also crucial that you keep an open mind about the potential outcome. It is possible to get rejected with even the most romantic of love letters. Just do your best to express your love and hopes for a future together, and keep your fingers crossed for the positive feedback.